Tuesday, May 30, 2017

5.30.17 Bee-otch of the Day: WGRD


Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.

-------



Name: WGRD
Age: 55
Occupaton: rock station
Last Seen: Grand Rapids
Bee-otched For: putting pineapple on a meat lover's pizza


--
For the past 15 years, I've had a trusty alarm clock radio.

Thanks to it, I've never been late to virtually anything, especially work. But on Sunday morning, I thought it was starting to malfunction.

When my alarm went off at 8 a.m. It was playing "We Are The Champions" by Queen. However, my radio's set to WGRD, which usually doesn't play them. I thought my alarm was set on 96.9 WLAV, one station over.

Then, the top of the hour ID hit. Yes, it was GRD.

I was thinking that it was just a computer error, but it wasn't. GRD is now playing more SHITTY classic rock, mixed in with the new stuff they play! That's right! If you're into bands such as Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold, Papa Roach and Metallica, you're now gonna have to sit through Queen, ZZ Top, Def Leppard, Boston and those lovable Confederate flag-waving rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd.

One highlight, however is that they're now playing more Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix, three bands I don't mind hearing on an active rock station. Prior to the changes, they were already playing Aerosmith, Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath, Dio, Motley Crue and other bands that fit the active rock format to a tee. But when I heard "Godzilla" this weekend on GRD, I wanted to smack my head against the table.

So why all the butt rock all the sudden? It could be one simple thing: ratings. GRD has lost about 30% of its listeners since last Summer. Then again, a lot of it might be due to Zane's absence from the Free Beer and Hot Wings Show, but then again, not a lot of people have crossed over to his new station, WBBL either. As a matter of fact, BBL is Grand Rapids' lowest-rated FM station, mainly because of the Huge Retard that stinks up afternoons on that station.

Look, if I want to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd - a band I absolutely HATE because it's the fucking polack asshole who destroyed my family's favorite band - I would listen to either WLAV or 101.3 The Brew, NOT WGRD. Then again, this is a station owned by Townsquare Media, a company that is known for making assholic mistakes. Hell, I was already so pissed off Sunday afternoon because of the amount of commercials that local Grand Rapids radio plays that I got my Pandora running.

Personally, if WGRD's listeners keep note of their new-found butt rock direction, the ratings will keep going down. I think Townsquare corporate made this decision simply because WGRD really doesn't have a programming director. The station's programming decisions are made at Townsquare HQ in Greenwich, CT.

If only we can resurrect pre-Hanlon WKLQ.

---

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!
CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment