Monday, November 11, 2019

11.11.19 Bee-otch of the Day: anybody offended by the phrase "OK Boomer"


BECOME AN AFFILIATE OF T-SHIRT HELL AND MAKE SOME MONEY!

Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday; Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Sunday morning on Chuck69.com.

-------

Name: various
Ages: 55-73
Occupation: various
Last Seen: everywhere
Bee-otched For: not being "OK" with "Boomer"
 
-


For decades, we've been told not to call certain members of society slurs that might offend them.

But yet, many of us still think we have the right to scream those epithets at certain folks who piss us off. But now, there's a group of folks who have their own slur against them. A group who thought that they would be slur-less forever, but it wasn't meant to be: those born between 1946 and 1964.

And that slur is "OK Boomer".

Sources claim that it came from a viral video on the popular app TikTok. It made headlines last week when 25-year-old New Zealand lawmaker Chlöe Swarbrick was commenting on a bill regarding climate change. During her speech, an older member of Parliament started to taunt her, and she respectfully told the asshole "OK Boomer".

I've already seen so many boomers get pissed over that phrase they view as derogatory. After all, it does have the same rhythm as what the old lady told Clevon Little from "Blazing Saddles". Now, it's never nice to call a group of people a slur. But, the boomers are an exception.

You see, the baby boomers are the "Me Generation". They were spoiled growing up because their parents worked hard for them. The generation before the boomers were called "The Greatest Generation" for a reason. My grandparents were bonafide members of that group. My maternal grandfather's father died when he was nine years old, and growing up, he didn't have a true father figure. He served in the Navy in World War II and came home with shellshock, or PTSD as they call it today. He spent the rest of his life a heavy drinker, but he was one of the nicest men I've ever known. My paternal grandfather's parents divorced when he was young and his father - from what I've heard - was a jerk. But he also served in WWII and was married to the same woman, my grandmother for 49 years until he died. My grandmother grew up with polio and had trouble walking. But despite her disability, she was a dedicated special ed teacher and had seven kids. My grandparents grew up during the Great Depression and there were times when their meal was ketchup in boiling water.

Thanks to FDR, America saw a rebirth thanks to his New Deal and job-creating programs. The top-earning Americans all paid a 90% tax rate and it boosted the economy. The boomers in the 50s, 60s and 70s all lived happy lives. They went to school and went home every day at lunch time to watch Soupy Sales. If they lived in a small town and their local radio sucked, they can wait til sundown to hear 50 KW giants like WLS, CKLW, WCFL and so many others.

And then, Americans made an unholy mistake in 1980 when they felt that a celebrity who starred in a bunch of stupid movies with a monkey could run the country better than a peanut farmer.

Reagan cut the wealthy's tax rate to rock bottom levels, busted the unions and simply put, created a dismal world for us Gen-Xers, millennials and beyond. I had more education than my parents with a technical degree, and when it was time for me to enter the real world in 2001, I was fucked. Living in the boomer hell known as northern Michigan didn't help, either. And living with my asshole boomer stepdad made things worse.

You see, my Dad moved to Kentucky in 2000, leaving me to live with the asshole who helped destroy my family. He hated my guts, and pressured me to get my own place, even though I sure as hell couldn't afford it.

Thankfully in 2002, I got hired in at a place in Grand Rapids. My new boss - a boomer - told me that I would be getting a 10% raise per year. Well, that was a lie. Because of this, people on a message board I used to post on bashed me, calling me an "$8 per hour loser from Easttown". Sadly, society expected me to make a living wage by the time I was in my mid-20s. But thanks to our asshole boomer president, Dubya, I was lucky to even have a job and not live with my parents, whom at the time both lived out of state. Instead of giving us raises, my boss would occasionally give us Meijer gift cards and would throw us into meetings where he'd show some Dave Ramsey video or have people from a bank telling us how to save money. Basically, I was working harder than my parents and getting paid less than what they were making at my age. Thankfully, my ex-boss retired and my new boss - also a boomer - gave me mad raises every year.

Now, to be fair, not all boomers are bad people. This site was originally dedicated to my love of Howard Stern, a boomer. One of my blog's biggest fans and a man whom I email back and forth often is a boomer. As a matter of fact, he worked in radio 35 years ago and left his station after the owner busted their union. My favorite podcast is Southpaws, which is co-hosted by a man pushing 70, Jack Prince. And last but not least, Michael Moore. Many years ago on Larry King Live, a young caller talked about their financial problems. His response spoke volumes: "my generation owes your generation an apology".

Mr. Moore is 100% right. And what's sad is that his fellow boomers in northern Michigan - many of whom Repukes - love to bash him for being right. After all, this is the man who took two abandoned buildings in downtown Traverse City - the State Theatre and the Con Foster Museum, now the Bijou By The Bay - and brought new life back into them. He's done a helluva lot more for TC than a certain boomer who shall remain nameless who lovingly gave downtown a giant hole in the ground at the corner of Front and Park for most of the 2000s and ran several local radio stations into the ground.

Look, if you're a boomer and hate the phrase "OK Boomer", it's your goddamned fault. This is your punishment for the way you've treated my generation and the generations after me. I'm almost 40, still single and don't live in anything fancy. That's because I'm still trying to catch up from the BS I had to go through in my 20s. And ya know what? It's not my fault.

And guess what? OTHER BOOMERS ARE DEFENDING THAT SAYING! Abigail Disney, 59 is the granddaughter of Roy Disney, the brother of Walt. On her Twitter page, she stated on several tweets, "What the hell is wrong with you/us boomers??  When did you get so easily triggered?  Face up to the fact that the world is changing fast but you are not.  You are old.  You are not irrelevant yet.  But you are less relevant every day. And the more often you object to Millenials' understandable resentment toward a generation that has selfishly poisoned their water, blown past every climate warning so they could drive their stupid hummers, and looked away or worse for  Sexual, racial and economic injustice, the more you prove their point that you just don't understand anything of value to them. Look, these kids are facing down a rising tide (literally) of changes that threatens everything you and I taught them to hold dear." She continued, "Oh, and does anyone remember not trusting anyone over 30??? Good lord I bet half of the nudniks complaining about youth disrespecting them were all over that freight train of prejudice and bad judgment.  How about you guys sit the fuck down and let the kids drive. It's not like you've done such a great job with the time you have had.  Get over the idea that all things pass, you are old and you need to let history do what history does: move on."

The sad reality is that boomers were given the world to them and they ended up telling their children to go fuck themselves. Ted Nugent is a shining example: when he was being drafted into the Vietnam War, she shit his pants in the draft office so he would have to be shipped out. Thirty years later, he blasted us young people for not wanting to go to fight Dubya's fake war. Sorry, but a douchebag who says shit like that and fucks a 16-year-old when he's in his 30s just shows how the words "OK Boomer" are important to a pig-fucking asshole like him.

Look, THIS IS WHY WE NEED BERNIE SANDERS IN THE WHITE HOUSE! Hell, he's not even a boomer; he was born in 1941! He saw how the boomers destructed their kids and their children's children's lives. Nobody - especially my age - should have to suffer through low wages, high college debt and an uncertain world because of climate change. If boomers don't want to be insulted, they'll have to learn that their generation will soon die off and my generation and others will soon take over.

As Trent Reznor once said, "bow down before the one you serve". Sadly, it's my generation that's getting what we don't deserve.



---
  --

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment