Monday, April 23, 2018

4.23.18 Bee-otch of the Day: the airline industry



Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.

-------




Names: the nation's airlines
Ages: various
Occupation: the people who fly us from city to city
Last Seen: everywhere
Bee-otched For: not allowing us to fly the friendly skies




---

Last week, I flew out to see my mother in Phoenix on Southwest Airlines.

I'll admit, I will NOT fly on another airline other than Southwest. All of their planes are 737s while most other airlines fly their smaller airport passengers on tin box regional jets. Trust me, I've flown on American Eagle. Never again.

Since Southwest came to Grand Rapids several years ago, I haven't been forced to sit between two fat ladies, I haven't had to run a mile to my next flight since Southwest's planes usually share the same terminals and I generally get to sit near the front. I've been told to fly on other planes, but I avoid those who bash Southwest. Southwest is like sex: once you go black, you ain't coming back.

I shook my heard when 60 Minutes did their expose on a cheaper airline, Allegiant recently. In the report, they revealed the fact that their aging fleet has been known to malfunction and even cause emergency landings. I was even told to give them a try. But since they fly to Mesa and my mom's closer to Sky Harbor, it's been a no-go. And thank God they've made that decision.

Of course, Allegiant was probably thankful last week too, when a Southwest plane had to make an emergency landing in Philadelphia after one of its engines blew, causing a window to break and a passenger to be partially pulled out. That woman, 43-year-old Jennifer Riordan died as a result. The plane's pilot, Tammie Jo Shults has been called a hero - even by Sully Sullenberger himself - for safely landing the plane.

True, no airline is perfect. But to me, LUV is the lesser of all the evils. Their average pilot makes around $200,000 per year. American Eagle? Something like $25,000 per year. Remember that plane crash near Buffalo nine years ago involving Continental regional jet? The cause of the accident was when the pilots were bitching too much on their shitty pay and how they were overworked. They weren't watching what they were doing and they crashed into a house. All 49 on board plus one of the people in the house were all killed.

You know, I've always been picky in regards to flying. I want my pilot to be paid well and I want to be safe. If my airline can't do any of that, I'm outta there. I'm happy that LUV is fixing their problems and I'll continue to fly them as long as my mom's in Arizona. If they change a thing, then yes, I'll probably fly something else.

As long as I'm not also stuck with a little crying bastard nearby, we're all good.



---

  --

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment