Tuesday, March 24, 2020

3.24.20 Bee-otch of the Day: any employer that forces their employees to work during the COVID-19 crisis



Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday; Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Sunday morning on Chuck69.com.

-------


Name: various
Age: various
Occupation: business people
Last Seen: everywhere
Bee-otched For: forcing people to work                                                                

----


Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Yesterday, I told you that I'll be off work for three weeks because my governor, Gretchen Whitmer ordered everybody to stay home during the COVID-19 crisis. Originally, my employer thought that they were not essential enough to stay open under the governor's edict.

Well, my first day off was indeed peaceful with me sleeping in and watching the crossover episodes of Let's Make a Deal and The Price is Right. I felt like a kid out of school again. But at 12:30, my boss called and he and the rest of the powers that be finally decided that our shop could stay open. So, I'm back at work tomorrow morning.

In a way, I kinda feel like a kid who lives in the only school district closed while all the other school districts are closed. And yes, that's happened to me before because my superintendent while I was growing up was an asshole.

But, I'll give my shop a lot of credit. They have latex gloves and masks for those who are germ conscious. Plus, they have Lysol to kill whatever germs exist in the company. Also, I don't work around people, which is a plus. Also, my boss has told me that if I don't feel comfortable working, I can take vacation time.

You know, I should be lucky since I have benefits. Vacation time is indeed one of them. If I woke up sick, I can tell the boss that I'm not well and all will be fine and dandy. Others aren't as lucky.

Under Whitmer's order, grocery stores and restaurants that have take out or delivery can stay open. But, what if that person prepping your food is sick? True story: several years ago, I chatted with a woman online who had the flu. But, she had to work because she didn't have any type of sick pay. Her employer? Taco Bell.

Yes, Taco Bell, the beloved fast food chain whose employees make maybe $10 to $12 per hour. Their parent, Yum! Brands is worth around $4 billion. They also own KFC, Pizza Hut, WingStreet and just this past week, fast-growing burger joint The Habit (oddly enough, Yum! once owned rival A&W).

Now, would you like a sick person making your meals? Would you like somebody touching your food after they've touched others, even a few that MIGHT have COVID-19? I think not. After all, I love Five Guys and guess where somebody got COVID-19 here in Grand Rapids? Yep! The Five Guys at 28th and East Beltline.

What really pisses me off is that one company trying to stay in business through all this is Hobby Lobby. Their founder and CEO, David Green is worth $8 billion. Not only that, he's a Jebus freak. A few days ago, Green sent his employees a letter regarding the coronavirus. It stated that he had planned to keep their stores open because his wife, Barbara was told by God to do so. Because of this, the Greens are getting a lot of flack from their critics. But since the letter was made public, the company has been closing stores, especially in states like Michigan where non-essential stores have been told to close.

Look, the Greens will not go bankrupt or hungry during the crisis. As-is, they label themselves "Christian" and yet they worship somebody who told a wealthy young man that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to Heaven. Selling art supplies is not a crucial business. If anybody wanted to be their own Bob Ross, they should have bought the damn supplies before the virus crisis or at a store like Meijer that's open because they sell crucial items. Now, if Hobby Lobby sold food, that's a different story. But, this is yet another reason why I personally boycott them and just about any business that keeps closed on Sundays.

I know, these are tough times. But, it's better to be poor and healthy than to be rich and dying. Not only that, even those who are currently jobless and have no benefits can work at a grocery store or any business out there that is hiring. But, when one works in retail or the food industry, they might be screwed.

I agree that we should boycott any business that's not essential during these times, and that business owners need to pay their employees in full until the crisis ends. Yes, many small businesses will be hit in all this. But, sadly, it's true that when a horse breaks its leg, it's best to shoot the horse to save the leg.

Once the lift is banned, we should help small businesses when we can. They need the help they can get. Big box stores will survive the lockdown with their billionaire owners. But, if a business is putting people at risk for no reason, employees have the right to report them to the proper authorities to have them severely fined for putting them at risk.

Let's remember that the coronavirus is making a lot of wealthy people sick. Maybe karma's a good thing.

--
  ----

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment