Thursday, August 9, 2018

8.9.18 Bee-otch of the Day: BP


BECOME AN AFFILIATE OF T-SHIRT HELL AND MAKE SOME MONEY!

Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.

-------

          

Name: British Petroleum
Age: 110
Occupation: oil company
Last Seen: London
Bee-otched For: making Mesick to my stomach


---

One of the lessons of living up in northern Michigan can be summed up in the great words of Sir Michael Phillip Jagger: "You can't always get what you want".

Even though I moved away 16 years ago, there are areas where if you want something you can 1) drive all the way into town or 2) get it off the web. But for some things, well, it's different.

Last weekend, I stayed with my ex-stepsister near a small town called Karlin near Traverse City. When I left, I knew that the first thing I had to do was gas up the Chuckmobile. I THOUGHT that I was going to go through Buckley, whose 100-year-old general store has gas, but the GPS told me to pass it and move on. I thought that there would be some decent gas stations between Karlin - which doesn't have a gas station - and Cadillac. Well, I was wrong.

The only gas station between Karlin and Cadillac it seemed was in the town of Mesick, pop. 400. I always thought that there were two gas stations next to each other at the Mesick roundabout where M-37 mosey-does with M-115. Well, I was wrong. 

Turns out that there used to be two gas stations across from each other at the roundabout and one, a former Mobil was converted into a Blarney Castle propane dealership. The still-open gas station is "Ellen's Corners", which happens to be... a BP.

Since the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010, I have avoided BP at all costs. Even more, my gas gauge at the time was a cm above E. I decided to risk it all the way to Cadillac, which wasn't all that far away. It's too bad that traffic that day was bumper-to-bumper. Thankfully, I won that bet. I filled up at a Marathon in Caddy and all was well.

I decided for shits and grins on Google Maps when I got home to see if Mesick had another gas station other than that BP. It did! It was on the other side of town... and it was also a BP.

Of all the brands of gasoline on this earth, sometimes I wonder why some towns here in Michigan have just one or two gas stations and they're all BP. Hell-er, I mean Mancelona in Antrim County is the same way. Two gas stations, and they're both co-owned BPs. Thankfully, the small town of Antrim - just south of Manceltucky - has a Marathon station. Nearby Central Lake is also a town with just a BP and BP only.

I understand that BP's roots up north are deep, especially with Amoco and before that, Standard. But the sad thing is that BP has proved to the world that a disaster that killed 11 and affected an area of 68,000 square miles is nothing. They paid $18.7 billion in fines, but sadly, they're worth $280 billion. Can you say, "kick in the bucket"?

Oh, I see that they're bringing back the Amoco brand. #polishingaturd

The reason why BP still exists is probably because there's idiots who think that gas is gas and that killing a few sea animals is no deal. What BP did was SINISTER and I hope that anybody who reads this will boycott their products. I feel sorry for those who live in towns where BP runs a monopoly. It makes me thankful that there's other brands I can trust my car to, like Marathon, Shell and Citgo, just to name a few.

I know, no oil company is perfect. Yeah, there's the smaller companies like Admiral and unbranded stations, but personally, I'd rather use pure fuel than ethanol, which can fuck up an engine. Sorry to say, but corn is not the perfect answer to our oil problems.

And BP ain't one of them.



---

  --

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment