Thursday, March 14, 2019

3.14.19 Hero of the Day: my great aunt


BECOME AN AFFILIATE OF T-SHIRT HELL AND MAKE SOME MONEY!

Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday; Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Sunday morning on Chuck69.com.

-------
A SPECIAL HERO OF THE DAY!


Name: my great aunt
Age: was 95
Occupation: retired schoolteacher
Last Seen: up in the heavens
Awarded For: being a great great-aunt
 
-
Yes, I need to be personal again for today, so forgive me.

I know, I've been talking about my family a lot as of late. Last year, both my maternal grandmother and her daughter, my aunt died within two months and a day of each other. Their deaths have rocked my family and even helped separate us further from each other. 

Now, it's my great aunt who has climbed over the Rainbow Bridge. 

She was my grandmother's older sister and the last surviving member of her side of the family. She spent the last years of her life bedridden and in severe pain. She never had children of her own, but her nieces and nephews and their children treated her with love and compassion.

Like her mother, my great aunt was a schoolteacher. She was married for a short time, but that ended in divorce. She had a female partner for many years that she took care of through thick and thin. She also took care of others as well, especially her youngest sister when she was dying of cancer.

When her partner died, she made the bold move back to Michigan after spending years in New Jersey. For many of us who only saw her on occasion, this gave us the golden opportunity to connect to her. She loved playing Bingo with the fellow residents in the senior home she and Grandma lived in. She also loved CNN, much to the ire of the Fox News fans in my family.

Last night, her 95-year journey on this mortal coil ended with one of her nephews - the son of the sister that died of cancer - holding her hand. For the first time in over 40 years, my Grandma's family is complete again in the Great Beyond. We will bury her and my Grandma's ashes Memorial Day weekend at our family plot in Howard City, 30 miles north of Grand Rapids.

Thank you, Auntie, and phone home.

---
  --

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment