Monday, July 23, 2018

7.23.18 Hero of the Day: my aunt



Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.

-------

A SPECIAL HERO OF THE DAY!


Name: my aunt
Age: was 60
Occupation: former nurse
Last Seen: up in the heavens
Awarded For: being an angel on Earth as well




---


2018 has been a very shitty year for me so far.

This year, I've had to deal with a woman who lived with me who ended up using me financially and two months ago, my Grandma died.

Now, the trifecta is complete. On Thursday, my beloved aunt died from brain cancer at age 60.

She was the middle of my grandparents' seven children. She, like her sisters grew up beautiful and gorgeous in and out. She got married and had a son and a daughter. She spent much of her married life moving around, living here in Michigan and also in Texas and Florida and back to Michigan again. However, the reality of having a steroid junkie as a husband and father caught up with her and finally, they divorced.

After the divorce, my aunt definitely improved her life. She studied to become an RN and found work at the Grand Rapids Home For Veterans. When I moved to Grand Rapids in 2002, she and I became closer. She was like a surrogate mother to me, especially when I was hired at my current job in 2002 and I needed a place to live very quickly. I remembered that she was on vacation at the time and thankfully on EXTREMELY short notice, she let me stay. A month later, I found a place to live and even though we had our own lives, sometimes she would invite me over for dinner. Even more, not longer after I moved out of her apartment, she bought her first house. I remembered how happy she was owning her first home. Her home was always filled with life, especially when my cousins and I were over there. It was always nice having a local family around.

One of the best things my aunt ever did for me besides giving me a place to stay when I moved to GR was in the the early 2010s, I was hurting. I had been in an auto accident and my new car was nickel and diming me to financial ruin. It didn't help that I hadn't had a raise in years all because of my boss's bullshit. So, I decided to donate plasma for extra money. My aunt was so upset about my troubles that she did the unthinkable: she mailed me $50. My aunt was always the type of person who gave you money or would open her door for you if you needed it. When her son lived in GR and he didn't have a job, he stayed at her house rent-free. When her daughter and her family were broke because of a failed business, she and her kids moved in.

Eventually, her daughter and her son moved out of GR. Her daughter now lives in Pennsylvania while her son moved to Detroit and got married. It was just me and her left in GR. We still had dinners and traveled to various places like Detroit or to our yearly family reunion in Howard City, but soon, I would be the last person standing in the Furniture Capital. 

Last year at my cousin's baby shower, people noticed that my aunt was acting strange. She wasn't smiling and her eye contact was off. Same problem at work; she couldn't focus hardly at all. She went to her doctor, they did some tests and they broke out with the unfortunate news: she had brain cancer. When my Dad told me late last year, I was floored. How could an otherwise healthy woman who only weighed 120 lbs. get sick? One rumor I heard was that she was getting shots for osteoporosis and it might have been a factor.

After her diagnosis, she had surgery that removed most of the cancer and then chemo. However, things only got worse because of her children. Neither of them wanted to be her caregiver. Her daughter ended up with her, and at the time, she lived in the state of Wyoming. However, her husband did not like having her there, so they shipped her back to Detroit where her son ended up calling the shots. She was put in an assisted care place while her son and ex-husband hired a company to have an estate sale at her old house. My aunt was reduced to virtually nothing.

Things only got worse from there. Her son had an argument with her doctor, so he yanked her out of the assisted living place without any of her clothes and most-importantly, her medication. He put her on a mattress on his floor and went to bed. The next morning, she was having a seizure and somebody called 911. They took her to the hospital and he ended up going home. She would end up at another assisted living place that was close to their apartment. While there, she slept 99% of the time and was in a vegetative state. She could barely talk. Her sister came over and asked her if she wanted them to remove the feeding tube. She said yes, but her son said no. He kept her in misery. To make matters worse, her daughter came to Michigan, but didn't see her. She and her family went straight to Grand Rapids to meet her husband's family. Her excuse was that she would come back next month.

Well, next month never came.

On Thursday morning, my dear aunt lost her horrific battle with brain cancer. Her death was to be expected, though the doctor claimed that she had another year to a year and a half max to live. Her cancer diagnosis was last August, so she lived 11 months. But still, 60 was too young.

Originally, the plan was to cremate my aunt and bury her ashes at the family plot in Howard City by my grandparents. But since she gave her son authority, he changed it to have her buried at a mausoleum at his Catholic church near Detroit. Sadly, my cousin's overuse of the Catholic faith has alienated him from the family. Hell, he and his wife dragged me to Catholic churches twice. Never again.

I went to my aunt's visitation Sunday and since it was Catholic, it was open casket. They dumped a wig on her and she looked like she was 80. It was sad seeing a woman who was like a second mom to me being reduced to this. The worst part of the ordeal was seeing her 14-year-old grandson bawling in tears. He was upset seeing his Graham Cracker like this. Then again, he didn't have a chance to say goodbye to her because of his mom and dad's fucked-up priorities. The funeral was held today and no, I wasn't there.

Sadly, both her children are getting her $350,000 inheritance, plus the $7,000 she was supposed to get from my grandmother when she died two months ago. I expect to never hear from them again. Well, good.

It's sad that these two pricks get a shitload of money and this is how they treat their mother. Oh, and JEBUS is on their side. Sorry, but this is why I'd rather hang out with good atheists over asshole "Christians". I could use some of that money, and it makes me wonder if my aunt left anything in her will for me. I doubt it, but if she did, the kids will probably grab it for themselves.

But in the end, there is some good news, and that my aunt's no longer in any pain. She's reunited with my grandparents and all of the other family members that we've lost over the years. My aunt needs to be remembered simply because despite being a godly person, she was one hell of a woman. She helped our vets, helped people on missions trips and always had the door open for those who wanted to see her. She was a member of Mars Hill Church and had a "Love Wins" bumper sticker long before it became a rally cry for the LGBTQ community. She never judged people, no matter what. She was truly an angel on Earth and maybe, just maybe, God needed her more than we did.

In closing, I'll end this with one of her favorite songs, a song that was a huge hit in 1976, the year she graduated high school. She had a sign on one of her walls that read some of the lyrics to this song.

The sign read, "Dream on, dream 'til your dreams come true". And for her, they did.


---

  --

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

CHUCK69.COM IS ALWAYS ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment