Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12.12.12 Bee-otch of the Day: Rick Snyder





Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.


DON'T FORGET TO "LIKE" BEE-OTCH OF THE DAY ON FACEBOOK!
------------------

Name: Rick Snyder
Age: 54
Occupation: governor of Michigan
Last Seen: Lansing, MI
Bee-otched For: becoming the worst governor in the history of the state of Michigan

--
It's official: if you live in Michigan, your boss is smiling a little bigger today.

Last night, just after 5:30 p.m., Governor Rick Snyder signed the extremely controversial Right-to-Work bill, making Michigan the 24th state in the union to have the law. Basically put, RTW will now force union shops to allow non-union workers and have them exempt from paying union dues.

The new law is set to go into effect in the Spring.

Many feel that RTW will do nothing but destroy unions and they're right. RTW states are the lowest-paying in the nation and also lead the way in workplace injuries. However, some like Snyder feel that since big companies - like the Big Three automakers - are setting up plants in RTW states instead of Michigan - the only state to lose population in the past decade. But the $64 billion question is, should a state deeply rooted in unions deunionize itself all in the name of creating jobs, especially those that barely pay the bills?

Bear in mind that Michigan was the birthplace of the automobile industry and the United Auto Workers, which started during the GM sit-down strike of 1936. For decades, working in an automobile factory was a dream come true with good wages, benefits, a college education for the kids, a two-car garage and a nice house in the suburbs. But starting with the Reaganomics of the 1980's, that dream came to a sad end.

Of course, I wasn't born yet when Americans took to the polls and voted in the Gipper in 1980, but I wish I was so I could have voted for Carter. Now, people of my age are screwed over. There's a lot of people around my age who have no choice but to live with mommy and daddy because they can't live on just above minimum wage. Even their parents struggle having them around since they can't afford to pay for themselves.

You see, I'm a not-so-proud member of the working poor myself. Both my grandparents had good-paying union jobs and made enough to support their seven kids. My parents weren't, even though my father worked for the local school system, but as a part-time bus driver. Neither of my parents went to college, so when it came time to my after-school education, I was sent off to a no-name vocational school, kinda like the ones advertised duringMaury or Jerry Springer. A year after I graduated, I finally got in the workforce and a year after I started, I got my first raise.

And that was my only raise.

I've been working at this Mickey Mouse company for 10 years now, and the only thing I have to show for is the fact that I'm not one of those down on my luck, begging for change at Costco. Collective bargaining? HA! Ask for a raise where I work and you're on the boss's shit list. Don't get me wrong, my resume's out there.

Personally, I'd rather pay union dues because I like protection. Where I work, I've had to do things I didn't want to do, but did it anyway. It all pays the same, like it or not.

Look, I didn't vote for Rick Snyder. I knew that when he was saying that he wanted to cut through regulations to create jobs, he meant that he would bring back elements of pre-Great Depression America that forced Americans into low wages and high hours. Already, I work over 50 hours a week and am squeaking by like most of us. With Snyder's new law passed, it could mean the end of unions and more people would see less in their paychecks while the boss goes on vacation #14 this year.

I wish that Jennifer Granholm wasn't term limited out of office. You see, she was this state's governor for Dubya's last six years in office and his policies helped kill this state. When Obama became president, the two helped the auto industry survive and put this state back on track. However, Granholm spent most of her eight years in office cleaning up the mess John Engler made in 12. Now, it's a shame that Granholm is now a media sensation with her boisterous speech at this year's DNC and her show on Current TV, The War Room. But sadly, we're now stuck with a dumbass governor who was responsible for running Gateway Computers into the ground, and is definitely going to do the same for Michigan.

But that's the truth, Michigan. You want shit and you get shit. You think that unions and poor black folks in Detroit are all thugs and you vote for the man who'll get rid of both. His policies are against the worker and the black person, just ask anybody living in Benton Harbor. If you go to somebody's house and complain about how they live, then don't go there, right? Same thing with any other town and city. Don't like it? Don't go there!

The only good news is that we only got two more years of the Nerd, and I hope we can get another Democrat in office in 2016. Not even with 12,000 people protesting his bill in Lansing Tuesday, did it prevent him from reconsidering. He's a company man who stands up for the Devoses and Van Andels and not the working men and women of the world. I hope he's happy that he's now the worst governor in Michigan history and has done an even more wonderful job tearing this state apart.

Like Gateway beget to Acer, maybe Michigan will do the same with China.
---

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!
Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com!
Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment