Thursday, November 20, 2014

11.20.14 Bee-otch of the Day: any retailer open on Thanksgiving


 

Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.



DON'T FORGET TO "LIKE" BEE-OTCH OF THE DAY ON FACEBOOK!



----------



Name: various
Age: various
Occupation: retail outlets
Last Seen: everywhere
Bee-otched For: killing Thanksgiving


---

For decades, when people thought of Thanksgiving, they thought of staying home with friends and family, watching the Macy's Parade and football, and yes, noshing on turkey and all the trimmings with family and friends.

Of course, people would wake up early the day after because of Black Friday, huddling into the stores to buy items for dirt cheap for Christmas. But in recent years, that has become a thing of the past.

Many stores are saying "TO HELL WITH THANKSGIVING!" and keeping their stores open on that somewhat holy day to give customers a early heads up on Black Friday. And yes, Walmart kinda started that revolution, but other stores have followed such as Sears/Kmart, Target, JCPenney and yes, Macy's. Some claim that stores keeping their doors open on Turkey Day is pretty much a Republican idea. Well, it's not: Kohl's - once owned by the family of former Wisconsin Democratic Senator and Milwaukee Bucks owner Herb Kohl - is open next Thursday.

Yes, here in Michigan, Meijer has been open on Thanksgiving for years, as part of their 24/7/364 policy. They only close on Christmas.

I know the sick, sad feeling of having to work on Thanksgiving; when I was in my early 20's, I worked at an Iraqi-owned convenience store in northern Michigan as a stockboy. My boss asked me to work that day, but I had to attend a Thanksgiving party at my stepfamily's. We discussed it, and he told me that he wanted to stay open that day since we would be the only store in town that would be open and it would be the most-profitable day of the year for him. So, we bargained, and when my family had dinner I went to the party. It was somewhat embarrassing since I wasn't there, but that's what happens when you're stuck in retail.

I hope to God that if I were to lose my job, I don't get stuck in another embarrassing retail situation where the work hours are weird and employees hardly make jack shit in money. Sadly, my mother works in retail, and because of her hours, I haven't spent the holidays with her in years. No Thanksgiving, no Christmas.

It's sad when people have to work on a sacred day like Thanksgiving so their bosses can make some extra cash, especially in retail. True, some businesses should remain open on holidays, such as gas stations and restaurants for those who don't have family or friends to turn to. But personally, I think retail stores need to be boycotted on Thanksgiving, period. I don't give a damn if they've only got 18 60-inch LED smart TVs for $250. I think Thanksgiving should be a day of being thankful, not being thankful that you have a job.

But, be thankful if you work at Costco, Barnes and Noble, Lowe's, TJ Maxx/Marshall's/Home Goods, Home Depot and Burlington Coat Factory; all those stores will remain closed for the holiday. Sam's Club is also closed, despite being Walmart's sister.

Don't even THINK about staying open on Christmas.

-

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com!

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment