Wednesday, August 24, 2016

8.24.16 Bee-otches of the Day: doctors that over-prescribe medicine


Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.



DON'T FORGET TO "LIKE" BEE-OTCH OF THE DAY ON FACEBOOK!

----------




 
Names: various
Ages: various
Occupations: doctors
Last Seen: everywhere
Bee-otched For: causing a door to close

---

One door down, two more to go.

This past weekend was a sad one for rock music as Matt Roberts, one of the co-founders and guitarist for the band 3 Doors Down died of an apparent prescription drug overdose. He was just 38.

Roberts was a member of the southern rock band from its beginning  20 years ago to 2012 when he left the band because of anxiety issues. According to his father, he believed that he overdosed on the meds that his docs sent him.

This isn't the first time 3DD has battled prescription drug issues. In 2013, founding bassist Todd Harrell was dismissed from the band after he caused an accident that killed a man. He was under the influence of prescription drugs. The judge in Harrell's trial lambasted his doctor for giving him way too many pain pills, which included Oxycodone, Oxycontin and Xanax.

Roberts and Harrell, along with lead singer and former drummer Brad Arnold formed 3 Doors Down in 1996. Just a few years later, the band - now with five members - scored huge hits with "Kryptonite", "Loser", "It's Not My Time" and their latest hit, the ironically named "Still Alive".

Sometimes, I wonder if there's a good doctor anymore. A few years ago, like Matt Roberts, I battled anxiety. I went to a doctor who told me that I was OK, but as time progressed, I noticed that I was off-balance. I told my family and they told me that my grandfather had an inner ear disease for years, which I thought was passed down to me. Well, I went back to the same doc and he told me to take Celexa and if my anxiety worsens, he gave me some Xanax, too.

I did see an ear doctor who ended up taking out some nasty, gooey ear wax out of me and simply told me to wash my ears out with hydrogen peroxide once per week. Problem solved, but the sad thing was, was that I was still popping Celexa. Because I was on an antidepressant, I couldn't drink alcohol. I called my doc, telling me that I wanted to wean myself off Celexa. He told me that if I did, my anxiety would come back and I would regret it.

Guess what? I weaned myself off of Celexa and I feel good. My ears were loaded with wax, plain and simple. Oh, and that doctor? Well, he made headlines when he abruptly closed his practice without notice. I still have no doctor to call my own, regretfully. But, I feel fine.

When I started taking Celexa, my family told me that docs are quick these days to give any drug to anybody. But, they're as addictive to heroin and they're more deadly than (gasp!) cannabis. So maybe if Matt Roberts took the Willie Nelson route (and he's still going strong at 83), he'd be still alive right now (and there's no pun intended).

Instead, he took Kryptonite. 

---

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com!

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment